Where there is a query or concern about an individual’s communication, socialisation and behaviours, the diagnosis of an Autism Spectrum Disorder may be considered (e.g. Autism/ASD).
Please note that this is the assessment needed to access an autism diagnosis and possible autism specific resources (e.g. Autism Class attached to mainstream school). It requires multiple team members input, includes the ADOS-2 and ADI-r, and will be accepted by the HSE and schools.
This assessment typically involves:
• Consultation with screening tools provided
• Review of existing reports
• Liaison with other relevant professionals e.g. GP (as appropriate, with consent)
• Information from school (as appropriate)
• Detailed developmental history from parent/guardian
• Structured Parent Interview using the Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised (ADI-R)
• Play/Interview based assessment (age appropriate) using the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS-2). Co-administered and scored by a second clinician (Occupational Therapist, or Psychologist)
• Clinical Interview with Adolescents
• Report with detailed recommendations for home and school i.e., school based placement and Autism Class access, as required.
• Advice regarding education/health service pathways to consider for future i.e., NEPS/HSE, as well as government allowances i.e., DCA.
Appointments will be split across appointments which include an intake, observation assessment, developmental interview, and summary/feedback session.